Friday, April 11, 2014

Charmed Binondo Girl

It was a sunny Monday morning when I decided to go to Binondo, particularly in Ongpin. What lead me to this short field trip was my cousins Tibetan Mantra bracelet. 

The yellow one is the Tibetan Mantra Bracelet, @ P650
                          
The night before, we were having a chat when I noticed his bracelet, black in color and has gold characters inscribed on it. So I asked what's that? That's when he said that it's a charm bracelet that gives good luck and blocks all the bad vibes, he has experiences to prove that it is indeed lucky.

I strongly believe in the power of prayer, and I hear mass every Sunday. But I guess, it's okay to believe in something, something that is far from the tradition and culture that you grew up in and far from things that you are familiar with. But, I had this strong urge telling me to go get yourself one. So I went to Ongpin! (Ongpin is a long street that stretches from Santa Cruz, Manila to Binondo)

                                       


I guess you'll also get this look on your face if it's your first time here. Amazed by the dragons and gargoyles that can be seen along the streets.
                                                   
Binondo has a rich history, and you can even say that they have their own culture. Well, they have a chinese culture and tradition. Binondo or Chinatown as it is fondly called is believed to be the head of the dragon based on chinese beliefs. 

A lil trivia---Binondo is the oldest Chinatown in the world, established in 1594. Binondo was created as a permanent settlement for Chinese immigrants (wiki). So you can just imagine the history, the people and the rich culture that lies in this place.

Feeling turista. Well, it's not very often that I get to walk the streets of Ongpin, although Binondo is just a few steps away from where I live. 
                                              

Okay, back to the trip!

Before I reached the store where my cousin got the bracelet, I had a short but fun trip in Binondo.

First stop, said a lil prayer...
The Minor Basilica of St. Lorenzo Ruiz or most popularly known as Binondo Church. Lighted candles for my prayer intentions.

A sight for sore eyes
                                           

                                                                       

Next stop, Lunch!
There are lots of Chinese restaurants in the area, but what caught my eye was this vegan resto.  New Quan Yin Chay Vegetarian, there are so many customers inside, which is a good sign coz it means it's good and affordable.

                                          

Had steamed broccoli, Bicol express (meat magic), shabu-shabu and kiampong rice. Everything there looked so yummy and very affordable. The big bowl of shabu-shabu costs P150, if I'm not mistaken 1 viand+rice costs P50, 2 viands+rice P70 add P10 for kiampong rice and add P20 for fried rice. :)


Next, snack!
A trip to Binondo wouldn't be complete if you didn't go to Eng Bee Tin, the famous hopia store. Also Salazar's one of the oldest bakeshop in that area.

                               

                                         

And after the long walks, the food trips, I have reached the shop where the bracelet was bought. We didn't know the name of the shop, so we had to ask around. The only mark my cousin remembers was the construction building in front and the red building. Glad we found it!

If you see this red establishment, the shop is right in front of it.
               

This is it!
                                              
This is Miss Gina, such a doll. :)
Very accommodating even to Filipino customers, which in my opinion is very rare. She did Feng Shui and suggested mantra bracelets that best suit me. The bracelets will be based on your lucky colors, in my case the colors are red, orange and yellow. The bracelets are blessed, and can not be worn or touched by anyone but you, otherwise your luck will go to the person who tried it on. Some of you might think this is crap, that's okay. I guess it's best to just respect each and everyone's belief. Let's all embrace positivity and release good vibes! ;)

                                             

And finally, this short trip is almost over we reached the end of Ongpin, across the street you can see another church called Santa Cruz Church.

Across the street is the beautiful Santa Cruz Church

Now have to head back to Binondo church, it's my way back home!


               
My son chillin' by the fountain while I have my last photo op in front of Binondo Church. Just a few more steps back home and this trip is over. Feeling lucky with my bracelet, and feeling happy with this trip.


                                          I was about to end this blog.. When my son suddenly wore my bracelet, the most important rule is not to let anyone touch and wear the bracelet or your luck might be transferred to them. So I had to go back to Binondo the following day.

Here's what happened...

It was Tuesday, my first working day of the week. While having breakfast, Madz, one of my team mates noticed my bracelet and asked if she can see it. So I immediately said, sorry but you can't touch it. She knew of these bracelets and asked me if I can buy her one. I said I'm going back there later, you can just come with me. So that afternoon 2 more office mates, Cath and Amilie tagged along including Madz and myself. This will be fun!


Just a quick shot in the street! Thanks for this pic Madz.

We reached Binondo quite fast, passed thru short cuts just to get there right away. We made it just in time, their shop closes at 6:30 P.M.

                                       
Miss Gina wasn't there that day, but the owner was as accommodating as she was so it was all good. The prices of the bracelets may vary, my office mates bracelets cost P800 but both our bracelets included a "Pampaswerte" it's a chinese envelope that has a prayer inside it. You put it inside your wallet, make sure to bring it with you wherever you go.  I got another bracelet, the one with the heart that one costs P300. :) 

Anyway, they had my bracelet blessed again for free, they will give you a calling card and if you have questions you can just send them a txt and they will be happy to txt you back. In case your bracelet gets broken, just bring it back to them so they can fix it and replace the lost beads.

Since it was a little bit late, we have decided to have dinner in the first restaurant that we see. That lucky restaurant was, Four Seasons. LOL!

                   

                            

The food was okay, the only food I can eat was broccoli. According to my friends, their food was good and affordable too. I wasn't able to take note of the prices and names of the food, we were all so tired and hungry then so we just ate right away, chat a little, and drank tea.

This trip was about to come to an end, we took some pictures and went for a short stroll.

             
                                                       Streets of Ongpin by night!

Last stop with my friends, it was getting late and the traffic was becoming heavier so we just had a quick stop at Salazar's bakeshop for some pasalubong.

The mongo hopia is a must-try! But I enjoyed the Lotus cream with red egg a lot!!!
                           
Mission accomplished! That was it, we were planning to go around some more but we still have work the following day. Overall, happy with the food, the purchases and most of all happy that I shared this experience with my friends. We were all tired but definitely enjoyed this short trip!

A positive attitude and good vibes will surely give you good luck!


Extra! 

On my way home, I passed by Lucky Chinatown Mall. I just thought these lanterns looked bright and pretty.

                            

                                          
 Till next time! Cheers!























































    

No comments:

Post a Comment